Thursday, June 13, 2019

Desert Objective Markers


I really enjoy making my own bits of terrain and objective markers, and something that I think turned out rather well is this delightful fascist obelisk, hereafter abbreviated as ‘DFO’.



This DFO was based photos on an actual DFO, built by the Italians outside of Sidi Barrani in 1940.




It bore an inscription on the side which read:

"LA 3 COMP. ARTIERI
SOTTO l’INSIDIA NEMICA
PER LA SAPIENTE GUIDA
DEL GENERALE C. NEGRONI
E VIRTU’ DI FANTI GENIERI E CCRR
DOMATE LE SABBIE ROVENTI
DA SOLLUM A SIDI EL BARRANI
QUI ANNODO’ LE LITORANEE
LIBICA ED EGIZIANA
20 NOVEMBRE 1940"

…which translates to…

“THE 3RD SAPPER COMPANY
UNDER ENEMY DANGER
THROUGH THE SKILFUL GUIDANCE
OF GENERAL C. NEGRONI
AND BY VIRTUE OF THE ENGINEER AND CCRR INFANTRYMEN
HAVING CONQUERED THE SCORCHING SANDS
FROM SOLLUM TO SIDI EL BARRANI
HEREBY LINKED THE
LIBYAN AND EGYPTIAN COASTLINES
20 NOVEMBER 1940”

I took a bit of artistic license with my homebrew DFO, and adding the inscription was beyond my skillset. It’s built on a Battlefront medium base and made from Sculpey clay, but each part made individually, and the fascios were the more difficult part. I started by making one fascio out of a base of thin clay, overlaid with wire, then pressed that into clay to create a mold.




Another objective marker, and one of great importance in the desert, is this well.



It was very loosely based on some images I found of desert wells, but mostly conjecture. It was built from Sculpey clay on a Battlefront medium base, with the timbers being made from toothpicks and the rope from wire.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Battalion of the Auspicious Pig

After almost a year, my Chinese battalion is finally done! While I may add another rifle company and more supporting elements later...